Barry Kirker, Clinical Psychologist, has established South Auckland Psychology to provide the people of South Auckland with access to responsive, professional and skilled psychological assessments and treatments. South Auckland Psychology is an entirely private and independent organisation and is not part of the public sector or any Government primary health programme.
Barry works with individuals and organisations. He undertakes a range of psychological services with particular involvement and expertise in assessment work and report writing for medico-legal matters, workplace consultation, supervision, sport psychology, and other specific areas as outlined on this website. Barry primarily works with adults, individually, as couples, and in groups; as well as organisations. He is able to work with all cultures, with a particular interest in Asian persons. Associates working with South Auckland Psychology are specialists in areas of relevance to the community and provide a choice of psychologist for clients. Associates have specific experience in working with children and adolescents, women who have been abused, and persons from non western cultures.
Psychological assessments follow certain structure and standards, and reports can be produced for use in court or other formal purposes. The treatment or therapy approach of South Auckland is motivational CBT work of a brief duration. It is the aim to provide a service where client need is thoroughly assessed and the most effective (based on research) and efficient treatment options are recommended taking into account the client's circumstances. All our Psychologists are registered under the Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act (2003) as Clinical Psychologists.
A range of business and after hour appointment times are offered at the South Auckland Psychology premises in Mt. Wellington. Barry Kirker is also able to see clients at their workplace. Barry is available for a confidential unconditional telephone discussion to initially discuss how he or a colleague may be able to assist you or somebody you are concerned about.
Services can be provided in different languages.
Services provided are:
- Assessment and treatment of psychological or psychiatric conditions
- General counseling for everyday problems
- Written reports for Immigration, Employment matters, and Forensic/ Pre-sentencing assessments
- Neuropsychological and Cognitive Assessments
- Couples counselling
- ACC consultation
- Supervision of counsellors/ psychotherapists
- Psycho-education for cross-cultural relationships
- Peak performance psychological training
- Specific programmes for improving sleep, stopping smoking, assertiveness, and problem gambling (not always running)
- Men's support groups
- Behaviour management plans
- Anger management treatment
- Workplace consultation to management/ human resources
NB: Funding is available for some services.